Sunday

Simply Showing You Care-Cook Someone's Favorite Food

When I was little I remember coming in all upset over something I'm sure one of my brothers did to me. My mother consoled my tears by fixing me a little bowl of rice and butter. I sat at the table and ate that rice while she finished in the kitchen.


I'm sure my mother was busy getting dinner ready before my dad got home and the last thing she needed was a sobbing child in her way.

Even now many years later I can't eat rice without thinking about that simple act of loving kindness. 

Growing up each of my children had a favorite dish. 

Meatloaf and mashed potatoes for my oldest.
Chicken and dumplings for my middle boy.
 Sweet potato casserole for the youngest.


When my oldest son came home on leave from deployment in Afghanistan he requested not only his favorite meal of meat loaf,  but also homemade lasagna, my special hot wings and pizza from a local pizzeria.

The middle boy begged me to teach his wife how to make chicken and dumplings. Which I didn't do because I certainly didn't want to alienate my new daughter-in-law. One day she came to me asked me for my recipe and if I'd teach her how to make the dumplings. She wanted to surprise my son for his birthday. I gladly shared with her. 

My youngest son was upset one year because I didn't make his favorite sweet potatoes for our Christmas dinner. So I made them just for him for New Year's day.

Food has a powerful hold on us. Sometimes that hold can be bad but sometimes it can bring back sweet memories of home and love.


That's why I was thrilled when my oldest son's wife asked if I'd teach her to make her favorite thing. 

My Cheesy Biscuits.

So we got in the kitchen together and I showed her how to whip up my simple biscuits. Which we all enjoyed hot out of the oven. 

Food has a way of connecting us and bringing us together. 

It is a simple way to show someone you care. 



Simple Cheesy Drop Biscuits
I have never been able to make what I consider real biscuits. You know the fluffy kind with lots of pull a part layers. But these are good. Kind of crunchy on the outside and tender inside. Good hot out of the oven with lots of butter.

Cheesy Drop Biscuits
Makes about  8 good sized biscuits. Recipe can easily be doubled.


2 cups all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup milk

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
Mix the dry ingredients together. Toss in the cheese.
Make a well in the center and add the oil and milk.
Mix with a spoon or your hands.
Don't roll or cut just drop pieces of dough on a greased cooking sheet.
These biscuits don't have to be pretty:-)
Bake for 12 minutes. Flip the biscuits over and bake another 5 minutes until nicely browned.

Slather with butter and enjoy hot out of the oven!




Be Kind to Someone Today!

Patti

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!